These conversations are never easy, but we found a great brochure from Home Instead Senior Care that will help you get started and give you some topics to discuss. I'll add a link to the brochure on the Links page as well.
The 40/70 rule is simple. If you're forty, or your parents are 70, it's time to start talking. Read the brochure for the details, below is a synopsis of the brochure.
1. Don't wait for a specific event, a birthday or a visit to the doctor, or that fender bender. Start talking to them.
2. Talk it out. Get them involved, really involved, in the conversation. Talk about solutions, ask them what they want to do as they get older.
3. Sooner is better. Pick up the phone, now. Go see them, today. Get started.
4. Treat them like an adult. Remember to skip the baby talk. These are the folks that raised you to adulthood - talk to them that way.
5. Independence. That's one of the hardest things to give up as we age. Make sure that the solutions maximize their independence for as long as possible.
6. Don't get lost in the weeds. Make sure that you are aware of everything that is going on, with their friends, in their lives, be involved.
7. Get help. There are organizations that can help you, and we're here to help as well. We've been through this and have helped others through it - you don't have to do it alone.
Take Care and Stay Healthy!
Debbie Carroll, Founder
The Senior Sage